MBTAway is a Web App for Boston’s MBTA Service available for iOS, Android, and Desktop. It features live data for arrival predictions of all the different aspects of the MBTA Service; the bus (including the Silver Line), subway lines (Red, Orange, Blue), and all of the Commuter Rails. MBTAway asks for your location and finds stops around you. It combines all modes of transportation at one stop and displays all bus, subway, and train arrival predictions. It also uses your location and the stop’s location to determine the amount of time it will take you to get to the stop using one of three different modes of travel (walking, biking, or driving). Using this it gets an estimate of your travel time and compares it to the predicted arrival time of the bus, subway, or train and determines whether or not you can make it. It’s the perfect companion for a Boston MBTA Commuter and reliable enough to use it every day.
This MBTA App was built in direct response to other MBTA Apps for Android and iOS that didn’t fulfill the needs of a commuter with many options nearby them at all times. Since then it has evolved into a powerful website that can be a one stop shop for MBTA commuters and casual users alike across all of their devices. MBTAway is built with openness and freedom in mind, allowing you to use any device and providing that service free of charge (there are ads to help pay for the server).
Why use MBTAway over other MBTA Apps?
- It's the most complete. It is the most complete MBTA App availible on any device.
- It's the most accurate. Accurate predictions down to the second the vehicle will arrive that is recalulated every other minute. Also, MBTAway's stop locations are more accurate than Google Maps.
- It's free. It has ads, but they are small and non-intrusive. Never a video, audio, or pop-up ad. Never stops you from using this MBTA App
- It works anywhere. On your iOS device (iPhone, iPad), Android device with version 4.0 or higher (Samsung Galaxy III, Google Nexus 4/7, and more), and your computer (Windows, OSX, Linux) in any browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox).
- It's always up-to-date. Never needs to update.
We integrate directly with the MBTA for all subway line (Red, Orange, Blue) and Commuter Rail data. This provides the most accurate predictions for the MBTA system possible. For our bus predictions we use NextBus. Our missed, sprint, run, walk, bike, drive, or wait times are based on Google Map API walking, biking, or driving paths. We unfortunately don't factor in traffic, detours, crosswalks, or Red Sox games into our predictions. The website itself is built with Google Maps, JQuery Mobile, and Fastclick.js. These combine to make a compelling expirence on mobile phones and tablets. We also provide extra predictions based on subway trains heading towards line termination points. The MBTA doesn't provide predictions for the next few stops on the train's returning trip. An educated guess is made for when that train should start coming back inbound based on it's outbound data.